THE TANGLE MUMBLE CONFUSION
The manual work process is all about one well and creating data for this well, in contrary to the data-driven work process, where you make decisions based on the data available from all wells.
The reason for the messy work process is the local data management. When well data is stored in emails, powerpoints, excelsheets and reports, they are all outdated as soon as they are written.
You can't keep a project up to speed without an expensive overhead of updating all the documents all the time. And when someone new comes in, they have to go through all these sources, learn what has changed, and create their own dataset with emails, powerpoints, excelsheets and reports.
THE EASY-PEASY HANDOVER
Built-with-expertise platforms ensure easy data and experience transfer. When a new engineer or manager comes into the project, add the user to the list of participants, and she has access to the history of the project, the plans, and the updated data.
So if the engineer controls the well-design, analysis, and dataset, you can extract the reports, verifications and stakeholder information you need. When you are tracking data changes in a project, you can go back and look at root causes, instead of having to read reports on project changes.
Examples on how you can ease handover:
- When risk rules are controlled by a project or by domain experts, you don't have to continuously update the risk matrix, you update the casing depths or stratigraphy.
- When you create relevant figures with reference wells and well designs, you don't have to write long reports about how and why.
- When you use the API to share data with other work processes or applications, you don't have to make (untracked, outdated) data dumps which end up in an email-thread.
- Since you had access to the data of the project before you were assigned, you have been updated on critical activities before you came in, and probably have already shared some of your experiences to the previous team members.
- Did you notice that these points are just as valid in the daily work? When the engineer updates the data in a well-planning platform, you implement quality assurance and automate stakeholder management and can say goodbye to most dull and time-consuming reporting.
Of course, building a platform like this is not easy, and it is a heavy investment for an oil company to do 🤔. Also, you would have to figure out what can be improved in an industry perfectly happy with how things are today 😱. Luckily for you, we have invested all the time in the world🧠 in new work processes, where data plays all the roles, and engineers and managers improve and analyze. The quality improves, the engineers gets creative, and you need to hire more people 🕵🏾♀️👩🏿🔬💪🏾.